A documented journey on yummy food, good reads and thoughtful musings.



Friday, August 13, 2010

Muffin's and More

I went for a walk last night with the dog.  We have a little poddle cross and she loves to walk - it was hot though.  Almost too hot to walk - we both came back thirsty and sweaty. 

We have a new bakery here in town that is a cupcake place and she makes a vegan cupcake, along with several others.  I thought I would try it yesterday after my hair appointment.  The vegan choice yesterday was a strawberry chocolate.  It was good but I am not sure if it was $3.50 good.  You know what I mean.  I make a choclate fudge muffin that is just as good, if not better and way better for you.  The recipe is below - you should try them.  Our daughter (G) loves them and she even thought the muffins were better than the cupcake I got her.  She got an organic raspberry chocolate one.  I can't remember where I got the recipe from but I have made them several times and they always go fast.  I keep some in the freezer to pack in lunches and for snacks on the run. I usually double the recipe and I get somewhere between 12 and 16 muffins.  They are also vegan which is nice if you are avoiding certain foods.  So, I hope you enjoy them.  Let me know what you think. 

Chocolate Fudge Muffins
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp canola oil
1/2 cup raw sugar ( I have used white as well)
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cups whole wheat flour (I have used a cake flour as well)
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray muffin tins or line with paper liners.  Mix applesauce, oil and vanilla.  In seperate bowl, mix dry stuff together.  Add the wet to the dry and mix.  The batter will be thick - it should be.  Just make sure all is mixed in well.  Fill the muffin cups and bake for 20 - 25 minutes.  Be careful not to overcook them. The tops should barely be firm when done.  Let cool for a bit before eating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment