A documented journey on yummy food, good reads and thoughtful musings.



Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Bean Burgers....

I made these black bean burgers awhile back and put them into the freezer with the intent to eat them while camping one weekend.  While we went camping and the burgers came with us we never ate them.  I finally got to having them for dinner on Sunday evening.  They were good, better than I thought they would be.  We didn't eat them like a typical burger.  We had them on wraps with avocado, chiplote mayo, lettuce and for those that eat cheese, they added cheese.  I also brought the same with me to work the next day.  It was yummy.  I imagine that you could change the type of bean and it would still be good.  I also think if you did not freeze them and thaw them, they would hold together a bit better.  When we finally got around to eating them, they were quite crumbly and perfect to smear on a wrap. 

I couldn't find where I got the recipe from but here it is for you.  I need to start marking on the recipe what site it is from so I can reference it later. 

Vegan Bean Burgers
2 cans black beans (drained and rinsed)
2 carrots grated
1/2 cup dry rolled oats
1/4 cup pepitas
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 300.  Add oats and pepitas to food processor and grind until coarse.  Grate the carrots and add to the food processor.  Add 3/4 of the beans, all the spices and the oil.  Mix it all together.

Spoon mixture into a bowl and add the remaining beans.  Wet your hands and form into patties.  I think I got 6 of them.  Place on baking sheet with parchment and bake for 40 minutes turing once in the middle.  Like I said we had them as a wrap but you could do them on a good bun or even without a bun of any kind. 

Give them a try and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment