A documented journey on yummy food, good reads and thoughtful musings.



Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Blueberry Jam

As promised here is a super easy although a bit time consuming recipe for blueberry jam.  I have used this one several times and it has always turned out.  I usually triple it so I only have to do it once.  I like the fact that it uses no pectin and makes use of apples and limes in place of  the pectin.  There is sugar in it which I am okay with.  Give it a try and let me know.

Blueberry Jam

Make the applesauce first
5 tart medium sized apples (I use granny smith)
2 cups water
2 limes
- Zest your limes first and set aside the zest to use later in the recipe, juice your limes and set aside the juice to use later as well.  Roughly chop the limes.
- Roughly chop the apples (do not peel or core) and put them into a large pot with the water and the chopped limes.
- Let simmer for 20 minutes or so until apples are mushy.  Strain through a fine sieve.  You will end up with applesauce.
- As the applesauce is being made - get your jars ready and your canner.  Get the water boiling and start sterilizing your jars.

Remaining Ingredients
4 cups of blueberries (cleaned)
3 cups white sugar
- In a large pot - combine your blueberries, zest, and 2 cups of the applesauce.
- Bring to a boil and maintaing a boil slowly stir in sugar, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Stir frequently to prevent scorching. I check to see if the jam is ready by putting some on a plate and puting it in the freezer.  If it gels up - you are good to go, if it doesn't it needs more time.  I believe we boiled ours for about 25 minutes. 
- Get lids ready by placing them in a bowl of boiled water.
- Add reserved lime juice and boil for another minute, remove from heat and skim foam off.  Discard zest if you want.
-Ladle jam into prepared jars, remove air bubbles with a spatula and clean rim off with clean cloth before putting a lid on.  Place jar into canner, process for about 5 minutes.  Remove from canner and let cool completely before storing. 

Each recipe makes 5 half pint jars.  We increased the berries by 3 times and made 2 times the amount of applesauce and it worked out.  The recipe above is for a single recipe only.  The recipe is from an old Bernardin Guide to Home Preserving book that I have.  If anyone is interested in a similar recipe for strawberry, red currant, raspberry, peach or plum let me know as I can provide the details to you. 

I have another recipe that I will post later for a healthy chocolate fudge muffin.  They are yummy and one you will want to make for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment