A documented journey on yummy food, good reads and thoughtful musings.



Thursday, August 26, 2010

Childless and another muffin

We have been without G this past week as she is away at camp.  We haven't heard from her so I am sure she is loving it and having the time of her life.  I know we are also setting her up with the expectation that she will be going each summer.  We'll have to see about that though.  We have been having a nice week - went for a good walk a few nights and have gone out for dinner, working in the yard etc.  For me the biggest break is not having to make lunches and to get her out the door to a day camp or pick her up.  My day is more relaxed and not quite as rushed in the morning.  It's been nice even though we miss her like crazy.  We are planning to e-mail her this evening. 

Now on to another recipe.  I read this other blog Steph Chows regularily and its good.  She does alot of baking and most things are good and easy to make.  She tries to use minimal fats and sugar in her baking.  Here is the link to her blog.  http://stephchows.blogspot.com/

I made the muffins below with the changes that I have noted.  They are good, easy to make and yummy when warmed up.  This batch have been eaten up by me and the hubby. 

Bangin Blueberry Muffins

recipe by steph chows

Dry- (mix together)
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
dash salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup splenda or white sugar - I used raw sugar
1 cup fresh picked blueberries

Wet- (beat together in a separate bowl)
1 Tbs milled flax seeds plus 3 Tbs water (mix and let sit to form a gel) Or use 1 egg
1 1/4 cups grated raw yellow squash - I used mushed bananas
lemon zest
1 tsp lemon juice
1 1/4 cups fat free milk - I used Rice Dream

Optional Topping (mix together in a small bowl) - I didn't use any topping
1/4 cup rolled oats
1 Tbs whole wheat flour
2 Tbs agave nectar (or honey)
2 Tbs chopped nuts (I used almonds)

Pour wet into dry and stir until just incorporated (don't over mix). Place in greased muffin tins and sprinkle optional topping on if desired, bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until done. Give them a little pat on top, if they spring back, they are done.

Let cool in pan for 10 minutes then remove and continue to cool on a rack.
Perfect for breakfast, snack time, or dessert!

Try them and let me know what you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment