A documented journey on yummy food, good reads and thoughtful musings.



Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Yumminess in bar form....

As I have indicated, I like to cook and part of this journey to making smarter choices and becoming healthy is to search for recipes that fit the bill with regard to the no dairy, good for me and still tasty criteria.  I came across this blog the other day called sweet beet and green bean - http://sweetbeetandgreenbean.net/about/

I love it and I love her recipes.  I made these bars last night that are so yummy and I don't feel guilty about eating them or letting my daughter eat them cause I know that they are filled with good for us things.  Here is the link to the recipe - http://sweetbeetandgreenbean.net/2010/03/10/sweet-and-salty-seedy-nut-bars/#more-1587

In the version that I did I used a combination of coconut, rolled oats, millet, slivered almonds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, a few pecans chopped and some sesame seeds.  I love that you can throw whatever you have in and it will use up small bags of stuff and clean out the cupboard a bit.  I doubled the recipe and it worked out great and they really do crisp up as they cool.  They remind me of a florentine without all the butter. I did decide to drizzle mine with chocolate although my hubby wondered why.  He loved them in their natural state.  Give it a try and let me know what you think. 

Another one of her's that I want to try is this one - http://sweetbeetandgreenbean.net/2010/04/01/almond-and-dark-chocolate-chunk-ice-cream/#more-1636
On my wish list is an ice cream maker so that I can make dairy free stuff for us.  Once I get one this will be the first one I will try.  I wonder if peanut butter in there would be good.....

No comments:

Post a Comment