A documented journey on yummy food, good reads and thoughtful musings.



Sunday, July 25, 2010

As promised...

As promised, and as I have discussed before I have been making some muffins to take on holiday and to take to work to eat.  I finally want to share one of the recipes with you.  I have made the muffins below  few times now and they are yummy, easy to make and people seem to like them.  Our 8 year old eats them and so do her friends.  That has to be a good sign.  If you are like me - finding a good bran muffin recipe that is not loaded with fat and dairy is tough.  These fit the bill.

Double Bran Muffins
2 cups whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup wheat bran
3/4 cup oat bran
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 apple, finely chopped or grated (I peeled it as well)
1/2 cup raisins
1.5 cups soy milk (I used almond milk)
1.5 tbsps vinegar
1/4 cup prune baby food
1/3 cup molasses

Preheat oven to 350F.  Mix together flour, brans, salt, soda and spices.  In a seperate bowl, mix remaining ingredients together.  Combine the wet and dry and stir to mix.  Spoon into muffin pans that have been sprayed with a nonstick spray and bake until tops bounce back when pressed, about 25 minutes.  Let stand for 1 to 2 minutes before removing from pan.  makes approx. 12 muffins.

These muffins can be found in one of Neal Barnard's books.  Give them a try as I am sure you will love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment